Diablo – I know it doesn’t sound good. Like it’s anti-Christ something. But no not really! It’s just referring to hot or spicy cookies. Never heard about it before. All I know is cookies taste sweet and yummy. But something spicy catches my palate (though haven’t tried it) and I was drooling over how it looks in TV while watching Eat Street as they featured Tacofino.
So I can’t get over it. Spicy and chocolates?!! Two things I love the most about food. And my taste bud says out loud that I should cook Diablo cookies to satisfy my cravings. Forget about diet. Once in a while I need a sinful treat for myself.
Anyways, glad I found the recipe from “Wanna Come With?” blog through Pinterest. And a perfect timing because the author of the blog adapted the recipe from Tacofino’s Chocolate Diablo Cookies recipe on The Food Network.
- Directions for: Chocolate Diablo Cookies
- 1 ½ cup sifted all purpose flour
- 1 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper (or more if you like it hot!)
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp fresh squeezed ginger juice or fresh grated ginger root
- Mix dry ingredients.
- In a seperate container, whisk wet ingredients.
- Combine mixtures.
- On a greased cookie sheet press fist size cookie dough balls out and sprinkle with rock salt and sugar. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 11 minutes or until the cookies start to crack. They should be nice and fudgy in the middle! This recipe should make 12 BIG cookies or many more small ones.
Here’s my say about the recipe:
It’s very rich, soft in the middle, definitely yummy, so chocolatey, and you can feel the kick of spiciness of the cookies. I used unsweetened Hershey’s cocoa powder, half a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and half a cup of white chocolates. I guess next time I’ll lessen the chocolate chips and use half cup of white sugar instead of 1 cup because I find this recipe too sweet. Probably I will mix a teaspoon of coarse salt, too, to balance the taste.
Overall I am heavenly in love with this Diablo Cookie recipe. I think I should have stocks of it especially when I’m PMSing to calm down my evil hormones. Hmmm… sounds like a good idea.